We are living in the information age and information technology has become an integral part of our lives. IT is everywhere from computer software used to manage computer operations, computer generated animation in movies, programs and networks that allows online purchase to satellites systems that enable space exploration, these are the real world applications of information technology.
Information technology is a broad term that comprise of collecting, managing and processing information and related technologies. It includes computers, mobile and wireless devices, network, satellite communications, cable television, automated office equipment and electronic mail. Information technology professionals are responsible for developing, designing and managing computer hardware, software, information networks and the internet.
There are many career opportunities available for experienced IT professionals. Information technology courses offer pathway to a rewarding career in computer system, information consultancy or business system development like SharePoint development. Web designing, system analyzers, hardware and software developers are just some of the many career opportunities created with the help of information technology. Studying information technology at universities can lead to a well-paid career anywhere in the world.
You can study information technology courses at diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate level. You can also study through distance learning at your own convenience. Some schools combine IT study with business skills and other discipline. Here are twelve IT courses that will help you get the job you want:
1. Computer programming – teaches how to write computer programs and how to test them for problems. Computer programming is available in associate or bachelor degrees. Associate degree prepares student for computer programming jobs, it can also be used to pursue a bachelor’s degree in computer science at a 4-year college or university.
2. Computer graphics – courses in computer graphics enable students to create 2D and 3D designs, animated techniques, graphical software packages and graphics systems. Website design, photography, digital video production and application programming can also be learned from courses in graphic design. Courses are available through certificate programs, associates, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.
3. Database management – courses provide the students with expertise to effectively manage and analyse data, obtain general analysis and management skills. Graduates can pursue a career in database management and administration.
4. Computer science – courses allow students to work directly with computers, computer networks, operating systems and database software programs. Graduates can obtain management positions with computer software, computer design, engineering and telecommunication business.
5. Networks and communication – courses in network communication teaches data communication and internet technologies and basic system performance analysis. LANs, WANs, TCP/IP, internetworking, signals and communication media can also be learned. Graduates can find employment as network systems and data communication analysts, network administrators, computer system analysts or network and telecommunications analyst.
6. Compiler construction – courses in compiler construction teaches parsing, semantic analysis and register allocation. Graduates can find employment as algorithm and software developer, software engineer, web developer and database architects.
7. Algorithms – students will understand key concepts to devise new algorithm and other important data structures. Degree in algorithm combined with business degree can make a graduate get a job in management or marketing software industry. Most graduates end up in computer and software industry designing computer graphics, programming languages and pattern recognition software.
8. Data Structures – courses in data structure provide students with basic programming concepts, data structures and algorithms. This is about showing correctness of algorithms and studying computational complexities. Graduates can find employment as data engineer, JAVA developer, software engineer and other software related jobs.
9. Operating system – courses in operating system provide students with a broad range of operating system concepts, installation and maintenance. Students will have understanding of OS concepts, management, installation and maintenance using variety of operating system. Career opportunities include system analyst, system consultant, software engineer and system programmer.
10. Computer science – degree in computer science equips students with deep understanding of scientific computing, automation theory, logic design, computer languages, system organization and practical applications. There are many career options available for computer science graduates including computer, network specialist, computer programmer, database developer, desktop publishers.
11. Artificial Intelligence – AI course provide the students with the basic knowledge representation, learning methods and problem solving of artificial intelligence. AI covers games, search engine, robotic science, weaponry, biological science and medicine. Course completion will enable students to develop intelligent systems by assembling solutions to computational problems and to link computational intelligence techniques to the real world. Popular AI graduates career include game programmer, robotic scientist, search engine specialist and face recognition software developer.
12. System analysis and design – course provides the students the opportunity to design, implement and document the system development cycle. It includes analysis of current systems, program development, testing, logical and physical systems design, implementation, maintenance and documentation. Career opportunities include computer systems analyst and business systems analyst.